Good books to read Maths Unwrapped coptic language

[[ Free books ]] T4Author Ann Clare LeZotte – Clinback.co

It IsPaula Becker, Thirteen Years Old And Deaf, Lives With Her Family In A Rural German Town As Rumors Swirl Of Disabled Children Quietly Disappearing, A Priest Comes To Her Family S Door With An Offer To Shield Paula From An Uncertain Fate When The Sanctuary He Offers Is Fleeting, Paula Needs To Call Upon All Her Strength To Stay One Step Ahead Of The Nazis

10 thoughts on “T4

1. says:

To see this review and to learn about T4 please visit www.readrantrockandroll.com T4 by Ann Claremont Lezotte is a book about Hitler s Tiergartenstrasse 4 or better known as T4, a Nazi program that ordered the death of all disabled and mentally ill people.The story follows a little deaf girl named Paula Becker who lives with her family in Germany Due to the T4 program during WWII, she has no choice but to leave her home and family to hide at the age of 13 The story continues on with her journey in search of safety I noticed that some people were leaving negative reviews because they didn t feel the book was poetic enough I have to disagree The book is told in free verse which isn t meant to rhyme or have any specific rhythm It s meant to sound as though the person is speaking to you and that s exactly what the format delivers I personally liked it I think it s really important for older kids to read this so that they will learn that the Holocaust didn t just involve killing Jews There were many others that were killed and this book exposes the terror of this dark time.I especially enjoyed the author s notes in the back as she explains where the names for the characters originated, info for further learning, and statistics It s a fairly quick read at around 108 pages I m very happy to have this on my shelf.4

2. says:

LaZotte, according to her bio in the back of the book, is a published poet I would never have guessed Call it free verse all you want, but just because you hit return in the middle of your sentences and occasionally call the hills blue, that doesn t make it poetry If the poems had been written by 13 year old Paula as she went through WWII, maybe I could have overlooked it, but they re her looking back on those years She sounds like she s quoting from a textbook, not like she lived through it.It s too bad, really, because she takes on two stories that are underrepresented in children s Holocaust books euthanasia and the Nazi s persecution of the Roma.There s no tension, no suspense to the book, and no impression of fear or horror or even homesickness from Paula, beyond her saying she missed her family with the same emotion that she said she was hungry For a 100 page book, I rolled my eyes a lot.

3. says:

I had high hopes for this a holocaust book that isn t focused on the Jews, but rather on the disabled, an under represented viewpoint Lois Lowry even provides a cover quote, claiming that this book is told with spare lyricism and haunting imagery But it s just not Okay, spare I ll grant, but there s virtually no imagery at all, and has all the lyricism of an owner s manual It s a novel in verse which always gives me pause it s rare to find one that s done well , and at a slim 100 pages, provides very little information other than that this happened The author who is apparently a published poet, though that boggles me provides no extra details, no fleshed out characters or settings or circumstances It reads like a textbook broken into lines By the end of the book, I still didn t care about the narrator, and it moves along with so little feeling I couldn t really say if it all happened in the span of a decade or a year or a week Flipping through it again, it s 4 years but there s no sense of time progressing, or of spending any length of time in any place Give this one a pass there are plenty of other, better holocaust books available, though it s a shame so few talk about any persecuted group other than Jews.

4. says:

This book was a complete disappointment First of all, it claims to be a novel but according to my American Heritage Dictionary a novel is a fictional prose narrative of considerable length, typically having a plot that is unfolded by the actions, thoughts and speech of the characters T4 is not written in prose, is not of considerable length and does not have a plot unfolded by the actions, thoughts, and speech of the characters In fact, it does not have much of a plot at all LeZotte, deaf herself, attempts to the tell the story of Paula, a deaf girl living in Hitler s Germany We all know about the 6 million Jews that were killed during the Holocaust, but the deaths of other minorities during that time are often forgotten about Among those whom Hitler and the Nazis persecuted were people with disabilities and gypsies Roma , which LeZotte unsatisfactorily tries to bring to light with this novel One would think that the story of a deaf girl forced into hiding to avoid being sent to her death at the hands of Nazi doctors bent on euthanizing those who did not fit the master race mold would be emotionally riveting Yet, somehow LeZotte manages to write in such a stilted manner that I couldn t even feel tense or concerned about Paula s fate And I m not some stoic piece of ice, I work with deaf children everyday and feel quite strongly about their place in the world I m the girl who teared up while watching the season finale of The Amazing Race when the deaf contestant signed that most deaf people have parents who can t sign true So how is it possible that LeZotte s story left me cold LeZotte had a tremendous opportunity to put some real weight to her story, especially given her own personal experiences growing up deaf in a hearing world, and to shed some light on a little known chapter of Nazi Germany for young readers, but instead she failed miserably.Also, and I m not an expert here, I was not an English major, but as a college educated person who spends a good deal of her day thinking about the English language, my definition of poetry does not include writing a sentence in prose and then deciding to call it poetry by inserting line breaks at random intervals Here, how about I start writing a poem in the same manner in which T4 was written Paula s story wasUnemotional and boringWith no real sense of thePassageOf time.AlthoughSomehowWe, the reader,Go from theBeginning ofThe war to itsConclusion in a matter ofPages.Suddenly,All is wellWith theWorld.Your worldWould be ever improvedIf you avoided thisTravestyOfA book.

5. says:

Tiergartenstrasse 4, or T4, was the edict handed down by the Nazi Party to remove disabled children from their homes to have them evaluated at local hospitals and institutions, and their quality of life analyzed That was the official story Bluntly, this was part of Hitler s eugenics program Many, if not all I m not sure on this point sent to these places were euthanized, deemed useless eaters, and not fit to live This novel is told in free verse from the point of view of a young teen who is deaf Her life with her family is turned upside down in 1939, when T4 is announced She is forced to go into hiding with a Catholic priest, where she goes from shelter to shelter until Hitler repeals the unpopular law a few years later The book shows Paula s struggles to communicate and find acceptance in her neighborhood as a girl, and her growing understanding as a teen as to what the Nazis are doing What is very profound is that many characters in the book preach against these actions, and wonder how something so horrible could take place But when you read between the lines you see why This is most poignantly told with the introduction of one character, who isn t as he seems Anything than that will spoil the story Highly recommended for teens studying World War II It s a fast read even the reluctant readers should find this easy to manage But there s a lot of story told in these pages.An interesting note is that the author herself is profoundly deaf, so it s little wonder Paula s thoughts and frustrations come across so believably This is LeZotte s first novel hopefully the first of many.

6. says:

This novel was set in Germany during the holocaust It focused on a girl named Paula Becker who, due to a childhood illness, was deaf During that time period, Hitler reigned and many people know of the persecution of Jews by Hitler and his supporters This novel looks at a lesser known group of people who were persecuted, the handicapped It followed Paula as she hid and learned sign language, stayed in a Jewish hiding shelter, lived in a church shelter and eventually found her way back home This would be a great book to read for history because a lot of dates were presented within the story to help set a time frame Also this book looks at a lesser known group addressed in history Students may be able to connect with the fear this character faces so I would keep this on the shelf to make it available for students or use it as a substitute for a textbook along with other books with varied perspectives.

7. says:

a heartwarming novel about how hard it was to live during world war 2 because if you had disabilities myou would be burned alive

8. says:

Hmm Nope Just didn t work for me Didn t feel like poetry at all I read a lot of children s literature, including quite a bit of non fiction, and to me, this read exactly like a give it a quick once over, non fiction, easy reader on the Holocaust Thought it all the way through There was nothing lyrical about the prose Maybe 3 times in the entire book did I think, Well, that was kind of a nice line I agree with the previous poster, Chelsea, who said, just because you hit return in the middle of your sentences and occasionally call the hills blue, that doesn t make it poetry. Sadly, she s exactly right on this one, as far as my opinion goes.

9. says:

Paula Becker is 13, deaf and living in a small village in German when the Nazis pass Aktion 4 allowing them to do the unthinkable euthanize disabled persons like Paula in their quest to become a master race and to eliminate the cost of caring for them.T4 is a short novel in free verse told throughout in Paula s voice Hear the voice of the poet I see the past, future, and present.I am deaf, but I have heard The beauty of songAnd I wish to share it with Young readers In T4, the factsAbout history are true, andMy characters tell the story At first, Paula writes, the Nazis target only people living in institutions and she is left alone But in March 1940, the family s priest comes to the house in the middle of a snow storm to tell them that it is now necessary to get Paula out of the house and into hiding.The priest takes her to a woman named Stephanie Holderlin, where it is believed that Paula can remain safely hidden There, she is able to learn the official sign language of the deaf But early one morning, the Gestapo knock on the door They had been informed that a disabled person was living there They search the house, but do not find Paula Stephanie finally manages to get rid of them, but Paula must be moved to another safe place immediately.This time, she is taken to a homeless shelter run by a Lutheran priest There, she meets Homeless Kurt Gradually, he and Paula become friends and after a while, they decide to travel to Berlin together On the way, they discover seven people living in the woods, Jews who are hiding from the Nazis Realizing they cannot really make it to Berlin without being caught, they return to the shelter In 1941, the killings under T4 offically ended but it still wasn t safe for people like Paula and Kurt until the end of the war Unofficially, Paula writes, the killings continued.When the war was finally over, the people responsible for T4 were tried at the Nuremberg Trials, with the exception of Dr Philipp Bouhler, who was the head of the program and who committed suicide.In its simplicity, LaZotte s story poem manages to convey some of the horror that Nazi Germany held for some people, but also some of the kindness that could still be found there among the people, reminding us again that not everyone was a Nazi and many didn t support their policies, like T4 The author, Ann Clare LaZotte can well understand what it would be like to be in Paula s shoes, since she herself is also deaf She clearly feels very strongly about T4 and it shows throughout in her poetry And she also knows than a little something about German poetry Stephanie Holderlin was named for Frederich Holderlin, a German lyric poet and two of the Jewish children that Paula and Homeless Kurt meet int he woods are named for Nelly Sachs and Paul Celan, two of the greatest poets of the Holocaust and whose works I would definitely recommend reading some of when you have finished reading T4.This book is recommended for readers age 9 This book was purchased for my personal library.

10. says:

I think this book would have had a bigger impact on me had it been a longer, fleshed out story Still, it s unique among Holocaust children s literature for its portrayal of a deaf child in Nazi Germany It is also a chilling introduction to T4, the official government action that permitted the euthanizing of the physically and mentally disabled I can t imagine being put to death just because I was deaf or blind or couldn t walk Now I would like to see a non fiction children s book on this same topic Recommended